Monday, September 20, 2010

Lady, Part VI


Butler swung the car to the front steps Jenna was sitting on.  She jumped up and opened the driver’s door.  “Butler, I can’t ask you to go with me.  If I…get caught in the crossfire I don’t want you to be involved.”
            Butler smiled.  “I know.  I’m coming anyway.  It’s not like anyone other than you cares about me, or even knows who I am.  My lot’s with you.”
            Jenna embraced the older man and gently turned him around.  “Sorry, Butler.  I still can’t ask you to put your life on the line like that.  Dane’s in trouble, and I have to help him.  You stay here and protect these people.  The man said something about three rings, and only one of them is in the forest.  I’ll take care of that one if you see if you can find the bombs and disable them or something.”
            “You can rely on me,” he said simply. 
            “Be careful!”
            Jenna got into the car and sped away.
            What do I know?  Dane is in the forest to the left of the mansion. What can I do? Find him.  How am I supposed to find him?
            She didn’t know the answer to the last question, just followed the road around the trees.  If she could just find one officer, they could radio for Dane.
            A siren blared from behind her, it’s lights flashing through the dark forest.
            Darn it.  I don’t have time for this right now!
            Jenna laughed at her reaction, slowing the car down and pulling to the side of the road. 
            “Do you know how fast—Jenna?” Dane stared at her in disbelief.
            Jenna felt her whole body collapse in relief.  “Oh good.  I was trying to find you.”
            “By…speeding.” He rubbed his face.  “Jenna, this is why I say you do stupid things!  What are you even doing here?  And why on earth are you wearing that dress?”
            “Dane, there’s no time for that.  Get in the car.  I think someone’s planted a bomb here.”
            Dane stared at her.  “Where is it?”
            Jenna shrugged.  “I overheard someone saying they’ll detonate something in the forest.  Hurry, get in!”
            He didn’t move.  “Did he say anything else?  Any clue that could help me find it?”
            “Dane, you’re not on the bomb squad.  Get in, use the radio to call them in.  Just get in the car!”
            He got in, reporting on his radio.  “Take it easy on the speed, ok?”
            Jenna started the car again, looking for some place to turn around on the narrow road. 
            She glanced around, the odd feeling that someone was watching her setting in, giving her goosebumps.  Then, to her horror, a car began to come up behind her.  Fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment